Business gateway products are widely used by businesses to keep their doors open and to attract customers to their outlets.
The products include aerosol sprays, dust masks, facial masks and more.
They are used by all types of businesses, including restaurants, shops and retail outlets.
Dr Robert Brown from the University of Sydney said some people who were allergic to these products were taking the products for a short-term boost.
“It’s a very small subset of people that might be allergic, but that’s certainly a concern,” he said.
Dr Brown said he had seen anecdotal evidence that some people had been using the products incorrectly.””
I think that we’re beginning to understand that, yes, for some people, this product could be an option, and that’s a concern.”
Dr Brown said he had seen anecdotal evidence that some people had been using the products incorrectly.
“We’ve seen people using these product incorrectly, but not necessarily for long periods of duration,” he told ABC Radio Hobart.
“There’s definitely a risk for some of these people.”
Dr Martin says the products are important but they should not be used for long-term.
“People have been using them for long period of time,” he explained.
“They’re used in a way that is potentially harmful.”
They should be used appropriately, for the right reasons, and they shouldn’t be used to mask your face or your mouth.
“Dr David White, an allergist and the founder of the Tasmanian Allergy and Asthma Foundation, said the allergy risks were greater than for the asthma products.”
‘We need to get it right’ Dr White said some of his patients were using the product inappropriately because they had not taken their prescribed allergy tests.””
So they’re potentially very harmful.”
‘We need to get it right’ Dr White said some of his patients were using the product inappropriately because they had not taken their prescribed allergy tests.
“What you see is, for most people, their test results are positive, they’re not showing any of the other symptoms that they’re allergic to, so it’s very easy to misuse these products,” he added.
“People need to be very careful with these products, and get it correctly done.”
Mr White said many of the products were manufactured overseas and were very expensive.
“These products are a big part of the Australian economy,” he concluded.
“You can’t afford to go to Australia for those things, you can’t get them.”
Business gateway product makers Australia has a thriving business gateway industry.
Dr Brown, from the Australian Allergy Society, said businesses were becoming increasingly aware of the risks.
“Business gateway is not something that we see in the mainstream industry.
It’s just becoming more and more popular,” he pointed out.
“We need some serious education on what the risks are, and what the benefits are.”
Dr White agreed, saying the product should be avoided for people with serious allergies.
“The best way to do that is to be a very cautious person and follow all the instructions,” he urged.
“Do not use this product, do not use it, do the test.
Do the allergy test.”
Business Gateway Australia said in a statement it was taking steps to improve safety of its products.
“Safety of our business gateway product is our top priority, and we are taking steps in line with our statutory obligation to make our products safe and compliant with the Product Safety Standards Act,” it said.
Dr White’s organisation says there was also a growing concern about the use of certain ingredients in the products.
Mr White urged people to seek advice from their doctor.