A former executive at Fox News Channel has accused the network of firing her after she publicly questioned its treatment of sexual harassment allegations.
KellyAnne Conway is the latest in a string of female Fox News personalities to publicly accuse the network, which has been rocked by multiple sexual harassment and assault allegations over the past few years.
The New York Times reported Monday that Conway, who now runs her own website, posted a statement on Twitter about her firing, accusing the network and its chairman, Roger Ailes, of being “irresponsible.”
Ailes said in a statement Monday that the network is “disappointed in KellyAnne’s comments” and that “our focus has always been on our family and the well-being of our staff.”
The Times reported that the firing came after a New York-based Fox News employee who had previously worked for the channel wrote a story about Conway’s allegations that Ailes had “created a hostile work environment” for her.
The employee told the Times that the alleged harassment was “truly shocking” and “outrageous” and accused Ailes of trying to silence her.
The former employee said she believed that Conway was retaliating against her for speaking out about the harassment allegations because she was afraid of being fired.
Fox News is known for its hard-line conservative agenda, which includes its coverage of abortion, same-sex marriage, transgender rights and immigration.
The network has been widely criticized for the way it covers news stories and for not having a prominent reporter covering stories that might expose bias.ABC News reported Monday night that Conway is no longer a contributor to the network.
The Times report did not say what was wrong with the employee who wrote the article, but it did note that the allegations were “totally false.”ABC News is owned by 21st Century Fox, which is one of Ailes’ biggest employers.